To qualify for Veterans Preference, you must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- have separated under honorable conditions from any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States;
- have served on active duty for 181 consecutive days or more or for the full period ordered to active duty OR have separated by reason of disability incurred while serving on active duty;
- be a United States citizen or resident alien.
OR if you are a spouse of a veteran who meets all of the above criteria AND you meet either 1 or 2 below;
- the widow/widower (not remarried) of a deceased veteran
- the spouse of a disabled veteran who cannot qualify for employment because of the disability
Note: You will be required to present proof of Veterans Preference before you are hired.
Definition of Veteran 197.447
Veterans Preference 43A.11
If you have questions regarding your DD214 form or if you are not certain you meet the veteran requirements above, please contact your County Veterans Service Officer
If you have questions about the state hiring process, contact